Robert L. Helmreich is professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin, where he has taught since 1966. He is principal investigator of the University of Texas Human Factors Research Project. This group studies individual and team performance, human error, and the influence of culture on behavior in aviation and medicine. Helmreich received his bachelor’s, masters and doctoral degrees from Yale University, and is a member of the Space Life Sciences Committee for NASA’s University Space Research Association. He was editor of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology and a member of the Committee on Human Factors and the Committee on Space Biology and Medicine of the National Academies of Science.
Professor Helmreich received the Flight Safety Foundation Distinguished Service Award in 1994 for his contributions to aviation safety through the study and development of team training techniques (Crew Resource Management) for flight crews. He was also awarded Laurels from Aviation Week and Space Technology in 1994 and 2002 for his research related to human factors in aviation. Professor Helmreich is a Fellow of the American Psychological Association and the Royal Aeronautical Society and has written more than two hundred papers, chapters, books, and scientific reports.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Group Processes
- Organizational Behavior
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Helmreich, R. L., & Merritt, A. C. (2001). Culture at work in aviation and medicine: National, organizational, and professional influences. London: Ashgate.
- Wiener, E. L., Kanki, B. G., & Helmreich, R. L. (Eds.). (1993). Cockpit resource management. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Gregorich, S. E., Helmreich, R. L., & Wilhelm, J. A. (1990). The structure of cockpit management attitudes. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75(6), 682-690.
- Helmreich, R. L. (2000, September). Culture and error in space: Implications from analog environments. Aviation, Space, & Environmental Medicine, 71(9, Section 2, Suppl.), A133-A139.
- Helmreich, R. L., Merritt, A. C., & Wilhelm, J. A. (1999). The evolution of crew resource management training in commercial aviation. International Journal of Aviation Psychology, 9(1), 19-32.
- Helmreich, R. L., Spence, J. T., & Pred, R. S. (1988). Making it without losing it: Type A, achievement motivation, and scientific attainment revisited. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, 14(3), 495-504.
- Merritt, A. C, & Helmreich, R. L. (1996). Human factors on the flight deck: The influence of national culture. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 27(1), 5-24.
- Nyquist, L., Slivken, K., Spence, J. T., & Helmreich, R. L. (1985). Household responsibilities in middle-class couples: The contribution of demographic and personality variables. Sex Roles, 12(1-2), 15-34.
- Stricker, L. J., Helmreich, R. L., & Roberts, D. C. (1986). A survey of the society for personality and social psychology. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin, 12(1), 131-144.
- Helmreich, R. L., & Schaefer, H-G. (1994). Team performance in the operating room. In M. S. Bogner (Ed.), Human error in medicine (pp. 225-253). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Department of Psychology
University of Texas
Austin, Texas 78712
- Home: (830) 598-8080